GoDaddy created an ad to air on the Super Bowl that was withdrawn after criticism in social media that it promoted puppy mills. This would be an excellent example of the power of social media.
- Watch the Journey Home ad for GoDaddy. What are your thoughts about the ad? Was it in bad taste? Why or why not?
- Read the Adweek article. Did GoDaddy do the right thing by pulling the ad from the Super Bowl? Why or why not?
- Do you think the criticism in social media represents the majority of people, or is it just a small number of individuals who voiced their objections to the ad? Explain.
- What are your thoughts about Blake Irving’s comments?
- Watch the 2014 Super Bowl ad for Budweiser. Compare it to GoDaddy’s Journey Home ad. What made the Budweiser ad the best ad of the 2014 Super Bowl while GoDaddy’s ad had to be pulled?
- Do you think the publicity raised by this ad and GoDaddy pulling it from the Super Bowl can benefit GoDaddy? Why or why not?