Here is an interesting article from Adweek about the impact of Twitter on TV show ratings, if the stars send out tweets during the show. In conjunction with the article, you might also show this video that identifies the top five TV shows on Twitter. These can lead to an interesting discussion of the influence of social media on television. Other research has found that viewers are often active on social media during shows and it can increase viewership.
- Based on your personal experience, would you agree that having actors sending Tweets during a television show will increase viewership and ratings?
- Do you follow any actors on Twitter? Why or why not?
- Do you think social media (not just Twitter) has an impact on television viewing? Why or why not?
- In your opinion, what social media site (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc) has the greatest impact on television viewing? Why?
- Have you ever been engaged in social media while watching television? Provide details.
- Since television ratings are used to determine pricing of advertising on television, can social media have an impact on what television shows charge for advertising? Why or why not?