I learned a new marketing term today – duress purchase. Sears has launched a new campaign based on the idea that consumers wait until an appliance breaks to buy a new one, then the purchase is made under duress. From consumer data, Sears also learned that 70% to 80% of duress purchases begin with an Internet search.
- After reading the article, do you agree that most appliance purchases are made under duress? Why or why not?
- Do you think consumers make poorer purchase decisions under duress? Why or why not?
- When you make a duress purchase, does it start with an Internet search? Why or why not?
- Watch the two television ads. What are your thoughts about this campaign?
- Name two other goods or services that tend to be purchased under duress. Explain why?