Oreo cookies has been a favorite for millions of consumers over decades. The brand’s advertising makes an interesting topic for Chapter 5.
- Television ad “Cookie Balls”
- Television ad “Bedtime”
- Television ad “Princesa” (France)
- Television ad “Sippy Cup” (Spanish)
- Television ad (Thailand)
- Television ad (India)
- Oreo’s YouTube Channel
- Oreo Website
- Oreo Facebook
- Oreo Twitter
- Compare the first two television ads. What was your reaction? Which did you like the best? Why?
- Watch each of the videos from other countries. What common elements did you see? Do these videos achieve visual esperanto? Why or why not?
- Examine the steps in the hierarchy-of-effects model. Which step, or stage, do the television ads display? Provide specific support for your answer.
- If you were to do a means-end chain for the television ads, what would be the attribute, the benefit, and the end value? Provide support for your answer.
- Oreo cookies have used the same basic approach, except for the first video, for decades. Do you think there is any wearout effects? Why or why not?
- Examine Oreo’s YouTube Channel. What information does it contain? How does the YouTube channel integrate with the television ads?
- Examine Oreo’s website, Facebook, and Twitter pages. What similarities do you see? What differences do you see? How well are these digital formats integrated with the advertising campaign? Explain.