When the 9th edition of Integrated Advertising, Promotion, and Marketing Communications becomes available, a new feature will be added: Your Career. Each chapter will contain advice for students as part of career management in advertising and marketing careers. Here is a sample from Chapter 2:
Your Career: A Personal Brand
Brands have characteristics, personalities, and an image. So do individuals seeking employment. Consider your personal brand image. Especially important will be the image you project to current and future employers. Is the image correct? If not, then now is the time to develop a plan to change it.
In assessing a personal brand image, consider both tangible and intangible characteristics. Personal appearance conveys a great deal to a future employer. Mannerisms, including methods of speaking, gestures, and other factors such as eye contact create a personal brand image. They indicate either self-assurance or suggest lack self-confidence.
Consider all of the ways in which you communicate. Something as simple as a voice mail message might transmit an aura of professionalism or signal something else (think of this: “Hi, I’m Sam. I not into talking right now, so leave a message. I’ll call you back when I feel like it.”)
In today’s society, an important part of a personal brand is social media. Future employers are likely to access Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and other social media pages. What will they see? Do your social media pages and posts reflect the professional image you want employers to see? If not, now is the time to change that image through how you interact on social media.
Future entrepreneurs should pay special attention to the concepts in this chapter.
- What are the most important elements in your personal brand? What areas require the most improvement?
- What services does Reputation Defender offer? Would they be helpful to a college graduate just starting out in the work world? If so, how?
- What career mistakes are noted in the Business News Daily post?
- According to the U.S. News story, you can use social media to enhance your career. What advice does the article offer?
- What makes your personal brand especially important in the field of marketing?