WPTV News reported an advertisement for Dunkin Donuts of a woman with a black face and bright pink lips appeared in Thailand. Human rights groups blasted Dunkin Donuts for the ad. The head of the chain’s Thai operations dismissed the criticism as “paranoid American thinking.” This would be a great article to discuss with either Chapters 1 or 14.Discussion Questions:
- In your opinion, is the ad racist? Why or why not?
- Should an American brand be responsible for all advertising that appears in every country in which it operates?
- If people in Thailand are not offended, should Dunkin Donuts react to American concerns? Why or why not?
- Dunkin Donuts apologized for the ad, but should they have done so? Why or why not?
- Is this ad example of stereotyping? Why or why not?