Convincing women that they need to shave their legs and armpits has a rich history in the world of marketing. Some claim it is nothing more than pure marketing manipulation, creating an unnecessary beauty requirement. Others disagree.
- Get Flawless Legs Website and Video
- Gillette Venus Leg Shaving Tutorial
- Leg Shaving History (Vox)
- Sex Versus Sexism Analysis (Nebo blog)
- Watch the two videos. What stage of the hierarchy of effects model does each one target?
- Explain how Means-Ends theory applies to the two videos, which target different audiences and market segments.
- Read the two articles regarding the history of leg shaving. Do you believe the activity was solely created by marketers? Why or why not?
- In many European countries, women do not shave. Does this represent a new target market for these companies? Defend your answer.