Using a sex appeal is not new, but the reaction to this strategy by Carl’s Jr. is interesting. In copy-testing 52% said a recent ad entitled “All-Natural” with Charlotte McKinney was offensive and 51% found it irritating and annoying. Now Carl’s Jr. has added mixed marital fighter Rhonda Rousey. These articles and TV ads would make an interesting discussion for Chapter 6.
- Advertising Age article about Rhonda Rousey
- Advertising Age article about Charlotte McKinney with copy-testing results
- “All-Natural” ad with Charlotte McKinney
- Rhonda Rousey TV ad
- What is your reaction to these two ads?
- After reading the two articles, what are your thoughts about the campaign by Carl’s Jr?
- Is the sex appeal used by Carl’s Jr. appropriate or not? Explain.