A recent article in the Wall Street Journal highlighted Wal-Mart’s new image advertising campaign. Faced with recent criticisms of the company, marketers launched an advertising campaign entitled “The Real Wal-Mart.” This advertising campaign seeks to enhance Wal-Mart’s public image by telling the real story. In addition to the article, here are some of the ads developed as part of the campaign.
- Meet Real Wal-Mart Customers
- Meat Real Wal-Mart Associates
- The Wal-Mart Business Model
- Before showing the ads and discussing the article, ask students their opinion of Wal-Mart. What image do they have of Wal-Mart?
- What is your evaluation of the new ads?
- Does it change your image of Wal-Mart?
- Do you think the individuals in the ads are real customers and employees or actors? Explain. Does it make a difference? Why or why not?
- One consumer said rather than spending millions to change its image, Wal-Mart should spend the money on developing better stores and improving wages for its employees. Do you agree or disagree? Why?